Followers


"Motivational stories inspired from the lives of saints."

Farmer and his hut

Friday 23 November 2012


Once there lived a farmer in a hut. He used to feel that his hut is too small, and always wished that he may get bigger home for himself. Once a saint came to his village. On hearing the news of arrival of the saint in the village, the farmer thought that he should discuss about his problem of small hut with the saint and he might get blessing of bigger home for himself.


The farmer went near to saint and told him, "O great saint, First of all I bow to you and welcome you to our village. If you allow, I want to discuss about something that has been troubling all my life." The saint smiled and replied, "Sure, what is the problem that's troubling you so much?" The farmer explained, "I am a farmer and I do a lot of hard-work to earn my livelihood, but all my life I have been living in a small hut. My only wish is to get a bigger and more spacious home." The saint first confirmed that its all he really wanted and then asked him, "How many cows do you have?". The farmer replied, "Two". The saint said, "Bring those cows inside your hut and keep them there only. Come back to me after a week". The farmer thought maybe the saint is giving some magical solution and brought both his cows inside the hut. However, the hut became smaller place to live in and the farmer started feeling more uncomfortable living inside it.

After one week, the farmer came back near saint and said, "O Respected Human! my hut has become much more uncomfortable place to live in now. Its now filled with foul smell too." The saint asked, "Do you have goats?". The farmer replied, "Yes, I have four goats". The saint said, "Bring those goats inside your hut and keep them there only. Come back to me after a week". The farmer did the same. But as expected, now the hut became much more uncomfortable place for him.

Gradually, week after week, all his cows, goats, buffaloes, hens, pigeons etc are brought inside the hut. Now, the hut was so much filled that the farmer could not even put a step inside. The farmer came near the saint and said, "O saint! Please help me. As suggested by you, I have brought inside all my animals and birds. But now my hut is so much filled that I cant even enter inside." The saint smiled and said, "Take all your animals and birds out of your hut and keep them back where they used to be. Then come back to me after a week." The farmer did the same. He took out all his animals and birds and cleaned his hut. He felt very relieved.

After a week, he came back near saint. The saint asked, "How is your hut now?". The farmer replied, "Thanks a lot enlightened soul!! My hut is now so big and spacious." The saint said, "I did nothing. Only your viewpoint has changed. The hut is same, but now according to your viewpoint, its very spacious; while few weeks ago you felt the same hut to be very small for yourself. Your problem is now solved."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts