Followers


"Motivational stories inspired from the lives of saints."

Buddha and the Angry Man

Saturday 16 February 2013


Once Gautam Buddha was travelling from a village. Everyone was happy to see him and heard his speeches with lots of dedication. However, one young man was not at all happy to see him in the village. He believed Buddha to be a fake master fooling the masses.

While Buddha was delivering his speech, the man stood and started shouting in a very rude manner. Buddha did not pay any attention to him and continued speaking without bothering about him. This made the young man more angry. He came in front of Buddha and facing him, he began insulting, "You have no right to teach anything to others. You are as stupid as everyone else. Stop fooling everyone. You are fake.!!"

The followers of Buddha tried to overpower that man. But Buddha stopped them and said, "It is not always necessary to counter aggression by aggression." Then he turned to the young man with a smile and asked, "Tell me, if you buy a gift for someone, and that person does not take it, to whom does the gift belong?"

The young man was surprised to be asked such a strange question and answered, "It would belong to me, because I bought the gift."

The Buddha smiled and said, "That is correct. And it is exactly the same with your anger. If you become angry with me and I do not feel insulted, then the anger falls back on you. You are then the only one who becomes unhappy, not me. All you have done is hurt yourself."

The man understood the message and he felt embarrassed. Buddha said, "No matter what the situations are, if you surrender yourself to anger; the anger will always take your life away from you." The man became the disciple of Buddha.

5 comments

  1. This made me remember one more quote by Buddha on Anger,
    "Anger is like holding a hot coal in your hand with an intent of throwing at someone, you are the one who gets hurt the most."

    http://freehappiness.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is mostly true, when the offending party has some sense of morality or justice or something. sometimes you have to open a can of "WA". on some people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts. tourmaline necklace

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really thank you for the valuable info on this great subject and look forward to more great posts. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great article. Good luck to the author! All the best! crystal shop

    ReplyDelete

 

Popular Posts