Followers


"Motivational stories inspired from the lives of saints."

Swami Vivekananda and American woman

Monday 25 February 2013


Swami Vivekananda was on the tour of USA. He was extremely popular there due to his impressive speeches. Due to his immense popularity, one woman approached him and expressed her desire to marry. Swami Vivekananda asked her the reason for such a desire.

The woman replied, "I am attracted to your extraordinary intelligence and mind. I always wished for a child just like you. I would like to marry you so that we could have child with similar good qualities." Swami Vivekananda thought that its fine for the woman to feel attracted due to his nature and intelligence. But he felt that its not a valid reason to marry just for fulfilling the desire of a child. After thinking for sometime, Vivekananda replied, "Dear lady, I can understand your wish to marry me. However, it will take a lot of time in waiting for the baby to grow up to see if he or she is wise. Even after waiting for so long, there is no guarantee that the child will be wise."

The woman understood and said, "But what will happen to my wish of getting a child as wise as you. Will it be fulfilled or not?" Swami Vivekananda replied, "I have a guaranteed idea for your wish. If you allow, can I suggest you?" The woman became happy to hear this and said, "Sure!! Why not?" Swami Vivekananda replied, "You can adopt me as your child. This way, you will become my mother and you will get a wise and intelligent child, who is none other than me." The woman felt shocked to hear the reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts