Followers


"Motivational stories inspired from the lives of saints."

The Perfect Service

Saturday 7 September 2013


In a village, few laborers were constructing a building. One sage crossed from nearby. He started wondering about building that was being constructed. He went near laborers and asked one of them, "What are you doing?"

The laborer looked at him and replied, "Can't you see that I am breaking stones!!" The sage said, "Yes, I can see it but what type of building is being constructed?" The laborer became annoyed and replied, "My whole day is spoiled breaking stones here; and you are worried what type of building is being constructed. Kindly leave me."

The sage moved ahead and asked another laborer, "What type of building is being constructed?" The laborer replied, "See Respected Sage! I don't care what building is being constructed. I get daily wage every evening for doing this job. My concern is getting my wage everyday. It does not matter to me if an alcohol-shop is constructed or a worship-place."

The sage went ahead. He saw a laborer cutting stones very happily. He went near him and asked that laborer, "What type of building is being constructed here? And how are you so happy doing this tough job in such a hot afternoon?" The laborer looked at the sage and replied, "Respected Soul! We are constructing a hospital. There has been no hospital in this village and the people of this village use to walk two miles for getting medical facilities. I feel myself in great pleasure that my effort will help thousands of villagers. I can feel the music of my chisel whenever I hit the stones. It brings me great pleasure doing my job."

The sage said, "You are really blessed. All of you are doing the same job, but the perfect service is done only when you do something for others selflessly and feel pleasure in it. Only the viewpoint is different. Few people take their job as a burden. Others take them only as a means of earning the livelihood, but only very few look beyond and do it with the intent of serving others."

2 comments

 

Popular Posts