Followers


"Motivational stories inspired from the lives of saints."

The Rich Man

Sunday 26 July 2015


Once upon a time in a forest, a saint was sitting under a tree in meditation. He was so much lost in his meditation that he did not even notice when a wealthy man came and stood in front of him. The man was so much moved on seeing the saint that he just stood in front of him with folded hands waiting for his meditation to complete.

When the saint opened his eyes, the man became quite happy and offered him a thousand gold coins. While offering the coins, he said, "Respected saint! I am very much moved with your devotion. Please accept this gift from me. I am sure that you would use them for the benefit of humanity." The saint asked, "Are you a rich man?" The man replied, "Yes, of course, I am very rich." The saint then again asked, "This means you would be having much more wealth." The man smiled and said, "Yes, I have much more wealth at my home."

The saint sensed a feeling of pride in his answer. He then further asked the man, "Do you still pray to God to become richer?" The man answered, "Yes respected soul, I pray to God daily for becoming richer." After listening to the answer the saint gave back the coins and said, "You can take these coins back. This would make you richer as you have just gained these coins from me. I do not accept coins from a beggar."

The man felt insulted to hear this and became angry. He said to the saint, "Do you mean to say that I am beggar?" The saint smiled to hear this and said, "Dear man, you are undoubtedly a beggar because you have been begging to God everyday for money. I never beg for anything from God. I am a devotee of the God and I have everything that is needed for my survival with the grace of God. Hence, I feel myself to be rich and I cannot accept any gift from someone who begs for anything from God."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts