Followers


"Motivational stories inspired from the lives of saints."

The Stormy Ocean of Mind

Friday 30 April 2021

Once a saint was walking on the ocean's beach with his disciple. It was stormy day, and the strong wind was causing high waves over the ocean. Pointing to the ocean, the saint asked his disciple, "What does this ocean and high waves remind you of?" The disciple said, "It reminds me of my restless mind with so many thoughts coming around."

The saint replied, "Yes, the ocean is like mind and waves symoblises the restlessness caused by the winds of thoughts of fear and desires." The disciple asked, "I do not want to remain in such restlessness. How can I control my mind?"

The saint explained, "You are there all the time. Do not try to control your mind. Most people make the mistake of trying to control the mind. Instead just stop running behind the thoughts that cause the disturbance in your mind."

The disciple asked, "How can I achieve the state where I am not disturbed with the thoughts of fear, guilt or desires." The saint replied, "Not just fear, guilt or desires, you should not get carried away with thoughts creating ego, sorrow etc. The only way to achieve is to just observe your thoughts but don't get yourself indulged in them."

"Stop focusing on trying to control the outer world. Instead, calm down your inner world. Once you can calm you inner self, your life would automatically become peaceful."

The disciple asked, "And how do I calm my inner self?" The saint replied, "Learn to develop focus on one task at one time, develop willpower and self-discipline and learn to meditate."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts