Followers


"Motivational stories inspired from the lives of saints."

The pot with many holes

Wednesday 13 February 2013


Once there lived a saint in village. He always used to recite the name of God and focus within his heart enjoying the bliss of life. He always used to guide everyone to live righteously, and attain the peace within. The message of the saint was so powerful that people from distant lands started coming to hear his speeches.

One day, a person from distant kingdom came to meet the saint. When he met the saint, he thought, 'He looks like a simple human being. He does not look like a saint. He is young, does not even wear saffron clothes. What can he teach me!!' The saint understood the doubts of the man, but did not say anything. The man said, "Respected saint! I have heard a lot about you. However, you seem like a normal human being to me. Can you provide me the self knowledge, as I heard about you?" The saint replied, "I can certainly give you the self knowledge. Then you can enjoy your life with the holy name of God. But before I give you the knowledge, I want you to sit near the well for an hour quietly. I need to take some water out of well. Remember, while I am taking out water, you should maintain complete silence." The man agreed and thought, 'Whats the big deal!! I can easily keep quiet for an hour. If I really get self-knowledge after one hour, it would be great; although it seems very unlikely that he could give any self knowledge.'

The saint went near well, took a pot and threw it inside the well. However, the pot had many holes all over it, and the water spilled out from everywhere when he pulled the pot out of well. The saint again threw the pot inside. Again, the water spilled out from holes while he was pulling the pot. But the saint kept on trying again and again. The man who was sitting very quietly, now started doubting even more, 'What this man is doing!! Doesn't he know that this pot has many holes on it. No matter how hard he try, he could never fulfill it. He is only wasting his energy and time. What kind of self knowledge he would give! He does not have even the basic common sense!!!'

Hardly five minutes had passed, the man shouted, "You are really such a fool. Can't you see this pot has so many holes? You are just wasting your and my time. I do not need any self knowledge from you." The saint replied, "I asked you to remain quiet for one hour. But you have so many holes of doubts in your mind, that you could not contain yourself for few minutes. How do you expect to keep the water of self knowledge within you? I completely know that the pot I am trying to fill has many holes and even if I put the water of all oceans in it, it will still remain empty."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts