Followers


"Motivational stories inspired from the lives of saints."

Old lady and tortoise

Thursday 21 November 2013


Every Sunday morning while jogging, a boy used to see an old lady near a pond. The old lady used to sit on a bench and clean the back (shell) of little tortoises. After cleaning the shells, she used to put the tortoises back to the pond.

On one such Sunday, when the boy was crossing across the pond, he again saw the lady cleaning the shells of tortoises and putting them back in pond. The boy could not stop himself this time and he went near the lady and asked, "Good morning, I always see that you are cleaning the backs of tortoises every Sunday. Why do you do this?"

The old lady looked at him and started smiling. Then she replied, "I come here every Sunday and enjoy the peace of mind while cleaning the shells of my little friends. Actually the algae and other things weaken the shells of these tortoises. I also help these tortoises who can not clean their shells themselves."

The boy became confused and said, "I can understand that this is a noble action of helping these tortoises. But there are still so many tortoises left around the world whom you can not help. Don't you think that you should utilize your time in some better ways?"

The lady replied, "I feel myself blessed in helping these little tortoises. This is my way of bringing the change in this world." Seeing the boy still confused, she explained, "It may not immediately change the whole world. But my actions would inspire someone to do something for the benefit of others. And I hope this will continue to inspire more and more people and will bring the change in the world. The change in the world begins from the change in self." She then added while pointing towards a tortoise, "I may not be able to help all tortoises, but ask this little tortoise if my help would help him in his life."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts