Followers


"Motivational stories inspired from the lives of saints."

Verse of a Dancer

Thursday 30 April 2020


A king was enjoying his life with all pleasures of life. He became old but his attachment with pleasures still remained. One day, a group of dancers and singers came in his court. On seeing them, the king ordered them to entertain him for a whole night.

The singer started singing and dancer started dancing. Various people in group also started playing various musical instruments. The king invited his teacher and family also to the court for entertaining themselves. The king gave few gold coins to his teacher and family members also, that they can give to the people of group if they are also entertained. Whole night the dancing continued. Just before the twilight, the dancer saw that the person who was playing the piano started yawning. She got worried as the king could have punished the piano player for getting sleepy in the event. She recited a verse to alert the piano player:

"Long time has passed, only a little time now remains.
By not keeping patience for a moment, don't waste all your effort in vain."

As the dancer said the verse, different people understood the meaning as per their perspective. The piano player became alert and started playing the piano properly. The teacher of king gave all the gold coins he had to the dancer. The daughter of king also gave the gold coins and her necklace to the dancer. The son of king also gave his golden crown studded with diamonds to the dancer.

The king was surprised to see the response of all the people for the verse sang by the dancer. He said, "How is it possible that all night nobody got entertained by her but just by listening her single verse, everyone gifted such an ordinary dancer everything?"

The teacher said, "O great king, do not call her an ordinary dancer. She is now my master. I have always prayed to the almighty God and meditated on the pure and true name of God. But on your invitation, I came and started getting distracted from the true path of devotion and knowledge. I am now at the last stage of my life. It could have become blunder had I not realized my mistake and lost my way at this point of time before death. Her verse enlightened me and saved me." Saying this, he left the palace and went to his ashram.

The daughter said, "Respected father, I have reached the age of getting married. However, you are so busy with your own pleasures that you never paid any attention for my marriage. Because of this, I planned to run away with one of your soldier and marry him. But this dancer alerted me that with this mistake, I would bring so much disgrace to my family. I should keep patience for some more time. I have already waited for so long and now I should not do any such thing that would make you feel ashamed."

The son said, "Respected father, this dancer saved me from the sin of killing you. I have now become adult but you are not ready to make me king and leave the responsibility on me to rule the kingdom. That was the reason I planned to kill you by today. But after listening to the dancer, I realized that I should not commit such a grave sin of killing own father. If not now, then someday I would definitely become the king. I have already waited a long time and should not lose my patience."

Listening to all this, even the king's mind filled with detachment and he decided to enthrone his son. Further he asked his daughter, "In our kingdom, there are many competent bachelors for you. You can marry any of them." Her daughter became happy and married a prince. After transferring the throne to his son, the king also went to the ashram of his teacher and started his spiritual journey under the guidance of his teacher.

Seeing all this, even the dancer thought, "I only used to run after money, fame and recognition. But I never realized that I am also just wasting my life. When my verse can affect so many people positively, why should I also not change my attitude and become a true human being." She also started following the true path of devotion and started working selflessly for the betterment of everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts