Followers


"Motivational stories inspired from the lives of saints."

Guru Nanak and Brahm Das

Wednesday 28 November 2012


Once Guru Nanak Dev traveled to Kashmir along with his disciples Mardana and Bala. While travelling, he reached the city of Srinagar. The people knew about him and became very happy on hearing his arrival to the city. One Kashmiri Brahmin named Brahm Das also lived there, who had learned various yogic powers by his devotion to goddess. When he heard the arrival of Guru in the city, he thought, 'I don't need to be impressed with this new-comer. I have learned a lot and have so much knowledge and supernatural powers. I will show him my powers and will fly on carpet by my powers. He will be impressed by me.'


He then did what he thought of. He got his carpet, levitated up and flew to the ground where Guru Nanak Dev was sitting with a large crowd. He tried to find Guru Nanak Dev but in vain. Then he came down from his carpet and asked the people, "Where is the Guru?" The people got surprised and said, "He is sitting just in front of you. He is so bright and knowledgeable. Can't you see him?" Brahm Das again searched for the Guru everywhere but could not find him.

Later, Brahm Das asked Guru Nanak's disciples, Mardana and Bala, "Was he really there?" They replied, "Yes, for sure he was there. He was so kind and we all had a great time." Brahm Das got confused and asked, "If he was there, why I couldn't see him." He was shocked to hear the reply, "It was because of your ego and pride that you were unable to see him."

Next day, Brahm Das walked on foot to the ground with humbleness and was very surprised to see that Guru Nanak Dev was actually sitting there with the crowd. With a heart full of surprise and gratitude, he bowed before the Guru. Guru smiled with kindness and asked Brahm Das to sit next to himself. Brahm Das sat and asked Guru, "Respected Guru, why was I not able to see you yeaterday?" Guru Nanak Dev said, "Dear son, how could you see in such darkness!" Brahm Das got surprised and said, "Darkness? But it was broad daylight that time." Guru, with his smiling and kind face replied, "There is no darkness greater than blind ego and pride that stops a person from realizing the light of the Truth. Because you can fly, you really think you are great. Look around. All these birds can fly. These insects fly. Do you want to be one like them?"

These words shook the sleeping conscience of Brahm Das and he said, "Respected Great Guru, please forgive me. I understood your wisdom. I have read many sacred books and also learned magical powers, but I will admit that I have yet not found the true peace and happiness they all mention about. Please tell me how I can reach near the Creator." The Guru explained, "You worshiped gods and goddesses but just like humans, all of them are also temporary. You have followed men of great knowledge and thus only got lost with that. The knowledge that increases the darkness of ego, will never help you. Words are only meaningful when they are true and you live the truth they represent. All words are just symbols and hints of the truth. Look within yourself and realize the truth."


The Guru then sang a beautiful song...

"If someone is praised by all. If someone is powerful and tall. But there's no internal sacred call, none of it matters at all. The Creator gives to all the same. Let us lovingly sing His Name."

The false ego of Brahm Das was broken and he realized the truth. He thanked Guru Nanak Dev and said, "I have now learned to seek wisdom and happiness from inside and not from outside. In the future I will do my very best to get rid of my thoughts of self by serving others and remaining absorbed in the Naam (the holy word of God) by the grace of the Lord."

7 comments

  1. Happy Guru Nanak Jayanti!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you made us all come across teachings of Guru Nanak Dev ji , on such an auspicious day..
    thankyou.
    Happy Guru Nanak Jayanti to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton for appreciating my efforts. I think only you reply to my blogs... :P

      Delete
  3. :P :P i dont think dat its only one person... there are many viewers for your blog coz of the story content u write.. that everyone can relate to somewhere.
    keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete

 

Popular Posts